If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ~Albert Einstein

Friday, July 17, 2015

Organizing My Classroom Library



You don't have to be an Elementary or English-Language Arts teacher to have your very own classroom library. Since I first started teaching (SS then SC), I've always maintained a small classroom library for my students. It's great to have books in my classroom especially when the media center has to be closed for special events during the school day.  It's also handy to have a classroom library when students have completed their work and may need something else to keep their mind stimulated. However as a middle school teacher, having books available for my homeroom students to read helps to keep the morning chaos down to a minimum!

Unfortunately, I have found myself always having to replace books every year because some never seem to find their way back to my bookshelf.  I've tried putting names of post-its, leaving names on the board, or just putting a reminder on my computer that someone has checked out one of my books. This is a bit cumbersome and most certainly not the most effective approach to ensuring that my books return to the shelf.

After attending ISTE this year in Philly, I took some time to go through the bag of goodies I grabbed. Let me say it's a good thing that I went this year for many reasons, but I'm extremely glad that I managed to get information about the website Booksource. While I had the option to use the website, I found it much easier to use the iOS app to get everything set up.  It is FREE to sign up and use. When creating your account, you will create a separate Classroom ID and password (different from your teacher account credentials) for students to access. Once students put in the classroom ID and password, they will need to select "Student Page". Then they are given the option to check out or return a book. The directions are so simple for students to follow.

To add books, you will log in the same way with the student credentials, but then select "Teacher Page." Thereafter you will have to put in your teacher password. From the teacher page, go to My Library. This is where I found it easier to just use the mobile app on my phone. Instead of typing the ISBN on the website (desktop version), I just scanned the barcode with my phone and it automatically added the book.  Any information I wanted to show on the student screen I just checked off.

Whoa! I almost forgot to tell you how my students will access the new library checking out/return system.  I will have a QR attached to the bookshelf so that students don't have to worry about typing in the URL just to access the website. To see 4 more ways I plan on using QR codes in my classroom, click here.

I can't wait to see how this new website complements my upgraded bookshelf and classroom library system!